Nerves carry messages between the brain and the rest of your body. Sometimes they are carrying signals to make a certain body part move, while at other times they relay information about pain or pressure to the brain. When nerves are damaged, compressed or cut due to a trauma, these functions are endangered, which may lead to loss of limb or digit functioning. A cut to the nerve can cause it to no longer transmit signals, because the signal cannot jump through a gap in the nerve. Stretch injuries to the nerve can range from mild and temporary to a more severe, permanent injury.
Symptoms of Nerve InjuriesThe signs and symptoms of nerve injuries may include:
- Numbness: Some nerves transmit sensation, so a nerve injury would cause some amount of numbness.
- Weakness: Some nerves give you the ability to move, so an injury to nerves that carry motor signals can causes a certain amount of weakness.
- Pain: This is frequently a symptom of nerve injury. The pain may occur anywhere along the course of the nerve, but it is most often experienced at the injury site.
Treatment of Nerve InjuriesIf you have suffered a trauma which has resulted in a nerve injury in your wrist or hand, contact our office as soon as possible. Dr. Sammer will perform a thorough evaluation to determine the extent of the damage, and recommend the appropriate course of action. A delay in diagnosis and treatment can lead to poor healing, decreased range of motion and decreased grip strength. Although some nerve injuries can get better without help, other injuries will need to be repaired:
- Mild injuries: The nerve can usually repair itself, either within minutes or after a number of weeks.
- Broken nerve fibers or more severe injuries: The nerves can grow back to their muscle or skin areas, but this process may take several months. Surgery may be indicated depending on the type of injury and extent of damage.
- Cut nerve: When both the outer wrap and inner fibers of the nerve are cut, Dr. Sammer will typically perform a surgery to allow the nerve to heal correctly.